The Bilateral Lithuanian-Ukrainian development cooperation project
Support for Education in the post-conflict areas in eastern Ukraine:
„On the way of changes“
The Project, which takes place in Doneck and Luhansk regions, aims to improve the quality of education with activities in three main aspects: development of students’ basic skills, development of teachers’ competences and reorganization of their educational process, and improvement of methodological base of educational institutions. The Project Manager is going to continue the work with 8 schools, which have been involved in the project in 2016, and is going to coordinate their initiatives to improve education system. Moreover, together with authorities responsible for education in the region and other partners active in the field of education, the project manager is going to involve 5 new schools by organizing activities in Lithuania. It is planned to add in 60 students, 25 teachers and 20 specialists/lecturers, directly working with teachers’ qualification and competences.
The Project aims not only to improve the methodological base, but also to upgrade and enrich the environment they live in and study. Furthermore, through various events, non-formal education activities and seminars, it is planned to involve the students and teachers who are not directly enrolled in the project. The entire program will be implemented in the areas mostly affected by the military actions, in order to not only develop better conditions for education, but also to improve the mood and spirits of the residents living in those areas.
The Bilateral Lithuanian-Ukrainian development cooperation project „Support for Education in the post-conflict areas in eastern Ukraine: On the way of changes” was supported by the Development Cooperation and Democracy Promotion Programme of Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Lithuania and by Swedish Government and implemented by Lithuanian Children and Youth Center.
Project target groups: youth, schools, teachers and school’s administration from the areas most affected from military action- Lugansk and Doneck regions.
During the project, there have been implemented education quality improvement activities in three directions:
- 60 students’, basic skills development with special focus on personal and social competencies and life skills.
3 groups of twenty students 15-17 years old visited Lithuania (6-12th of June, 12 -19 th of September and 10-16th of October). Special 7 day long program of trainings, meetings with youngsters from Lithuania students organizations, the educational and cultural program as well as the sightseeing in Vilnius and its surroundings have been prepared.
- 50 teachers' competences development with special focus on teachers and school administration empowerment to initiate positive changes in schools environment, based on democratic values.
2 groups of teachers and representatives of school administration have been brought to Vilnius on 19-23th of September and 17-21 of October. 5 day long training program included qualification improvement cources, vizits to Lithuanian schools, meetings with authorities of Lithuania education system, special educational and cultural program.
- 8 schools’ material base improvement by providing necessary access to the Internet or audio/video equipment.
Project partners in Ukraine:
Leading partner - Ukrainian State Centre of after School Education (Український Державний Центр Позашкільної Освіти);
- Education and Science Department of Doneck Regional Administration (Департамент образования и науки Донецкой облгосадминистрации)
- Education Department of Bakhmut (Artemovsk) City Council ( Отдел образования Бахмутского (Артемовского) городского совета)
- NGO “NewDonbass”
- Education and Science Department of Lugansk Region State Administration (Департамент образования и науки Луганской областной государственной администрации)
- Lugansk Regional Institute of Postgraduate Education